Benefits to clinicians
CPCSSN provides clinicians with a rigorous quality improvement tool designed to improve patient outcomes. First, CPCSSN technology extracts de-identified patient data from the clinician’s EMR. Second, the data are processed and cleaned in a consistent format. Third, reliable data are returned to the clinician via the online Data Presentation Tool (DPT). The clinician can visualize patient details and health indicators to make comparisons across their clinic, health network, and province.
CPCSSN can assist clinicians in better understanding their practice patterns. Clinicians can also use the DPT to identify a specific group of patients for recall. For example, a clinician could visualize which patients aged 65 years and older have not received an influenza immunization this year.
CPCSSN has developed algorithms to identify patients with the following 13 chronic diseases:
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Herpes Zoster
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Pediatric Asthma
- Pediatric Diabetes
Clinicians can use CPCSSN technology to:
- Improve understanding of your patient population and their health using reliable data. Through the QI tools, access a wide variety of health indicators such as blood pressure, prescribed medication, vaccination records, and lab results.
- Compare your patient and practice details to other clinicians at your clinic, health network, and across the province in a manner that that maintains patient confidentiality and privacy.
- Facilitate opportunities for independent reflection on practice and collaborative discussions with colleagues.
- Implement practice quality improvement initiatives for improved patient outcomes. For example, screen for diabetic patients who have not had a foot examination in the previous year.
- Monitor practice patterns and chronic disease management over time. For example, how often you are prescribing SSRIs for depression management in patients under 30 years of age.
Data Presentation Tool (DPT)
The DPT is a secure web-based tool that can be used to view and analyze your patient data. Clinicians can run numerous pre-programmed searches or create their own reports to answer an infinite variety of clinical questions. The DPT also allows clinicians within the patient’s ‘circle of care’ to collaborate by securely re-identifying patients within the clinic.