Funded in 2014, the Primary and Integrated Health Care Innovations Network (PIHCIN) is a pan-Canadian “network of networks” that was created to support patient-oriented, evidence-informed transformation and delivery of more cost effective primary and integrated health care to improve patient experience and health, health equity and health system outcomes for individuals with, and at risk of developing, complex health needs.
The PIHCIN is funded by the Canadian Institutes for Health Research through the Strategy for Patient Oriented Research (SPOR). Currently, the PIHCIN consists of 11 provincial and territorial networks, each with their own governance structures and CIHR-matched funding. Each provincial/territorial network is directed by a tripartite leadership team (researcher, clinician, and policy maker), with patient partner involvement. These networks are autonomous and are responsible for activities and initiatives at the provincial/territorial level. Pan-Canadian activities are coordinated by the Network Leadership Council and supported by the Network Coordinating Office. The governance structure also includes a Pan-Canadian Patient Council.
The PIHCIN is preparing to apply for renewed funding for a five-year term and is looking for a Nominated Principal Applicant (NPA) to lead this process and guide the network once is it funded. The PIHCIN is committed to:
- Engaging patients as partners in governance and research
- A collaborative leadership model
- Fostering the creation of learning health systems to improve the uptake of innovations into practice and policy
In collaboration with the Network Leadership Council, the successful NPA will have the ability, skills, time, and passion to:
- develop the proposal for PIHCIN 2.0 to CIHR, acting as lead applicant;
- develop a plan for Phase II of the funding from CIHR (2021-2026);
- act as the PIHCIN’s representative to CIHR, other SPOR entities, and other relevant organizations;
- develop a plan for sustainability after Phase II.
The following criteria outlines the required and desirable profiles the Selection Committee considers relevant to the position of NPA.
- Nominated Principal Investigator/Applicant on a CIHR-funded grant, currently or in the past;
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the primary health care system in Canada;
- Demonstrated experience with, and passion for patient-oriented research and learning health systems;
- Demonstrated capability to lead a diverse group of stakeholders with different areas of expertise and different approaches to getting work done;
- Leadership experience within a non-hierarchical governance structure, including the ability to work and build consensus;
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion;
- Experience working with interdisciplinary teams, patient partners, decision makers at all levels, primary health care practitioners, and other relevant stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, facilitate, delegate, encourage, communicate, build trust, and resolve conflict to accomplish team goals;
- Experience leading teams in a complex grant environment, similar to the PIHCI Networks;
- Demonstrated success in knowledge translation and exchange with multiple stakeholder groups;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Clinical, researcher, or decision maker experience in primary health care;
- Experience managing multi-institutional or multi-jurisdictional grants;
- Demonstrated understanding, knowledge, and recognition of the experiential knowledge of Indigenous people and other equity-seeking populations;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the trajectories of patients and an in-depth understanding of the issues associated with their experiences in the health care system, including in primary health care settings;
- PIHCI Selection Committee – May 11, 2021
- Experience leading collaborations with patient partners and in implementing, evaluating, or researching collaborative people-centred care; • Experience with learning health system initiatives;
- Bilingual (French and English);
- Previous success in securing matching funds for grants.
Note: The NPA of the PIHCI Network can be a Lead for a provincial/territorial network.
How to apply
To submit your application, please include the following:
- CCV (Biosketch)
- One page overview of your most significant contributions related to this position (single space)
- Cover letter
- Contact information for 2-3 references
Please send documents electronically to the attention of the Selection Committee no later than June 1, 2021 to PIHCI2021@gmail.com
PIHCIN partners invite women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, ethnic minorities and people with disabilities to apply. During recruitment, our selection tools can be adapted according to the needs of people with disabilities who request them. Please be assured of the confidentiality of this information. PIHCIN partners promote the inclusion and diversity of its staff and encourage people of all orientations and gender identities to apply.